You don't speak Italian?
The first official language at the Mendrisio Academy of Architecture is Italian, but several courses and many design studios are also held in English. Integrating those who don’t speak Italian into the school’s activities and fostering cultural and linguistic diversity are among the goals the school sets itself.
Here's what we do to help non-Italian speakers:
- For new students in the BSc and MSc courses (including Erasmus students), reception at the Academy office with provision of basic information about the school
- Intensive language course before the start of studies
- Language course during the semester
- Courses and studio sessions in English
- Option of taking examinations in English or, by prior agreement with teachers, in French or German.
- Public and internal lectures in English
- Secretarial services in five languages
Before the semester starts
All of the non Italian-speaking students, researchers and professors are invited to participate free of charge.
The programme is organized in four modules:
- Preparatory intensive course at absolute beginner level A1 (two weeks)
- Preparatory intensive course at beginner level A1-A2 (two weeks)
- Preparatory intensive course at elementary level A2 (two weeks)
- Preparatory intensive course at intermediate level B1 (two weeks)
In Mendrisio (enroll here)
from 2 to 13 September 2019
schedule: morning and afternoon
Turconi Building, Via Turconi 25
In Lugano (enroll here)
from 3 to 14 February 2020
from Monday to Friday, morning and afternoon
Università della Svizzera italiana, via Buffi 13
During the semester
Università della Svizzera italiana also offers an official Italian language proficiency test twice a year in cooperation with Società Dante Alighieri in Italy. The PLIDA Certificate attests competence in Italian as a foreign language according to a scale of six levels. The levels advance from A1 to C2 in progression of difficulty and correspond to the levels established by the Council of Europe. For more information, please visit the webpage.
Various institutions organize courses in Italian for the purpose of attending university. For example the school listed below.
ILI-Istituto di lingua e cultura italiana
via Basilea 22 / Gradinata Mimosa
Tel. +4191 950 8686
Fax +4191 950 8687