Each year the Mendrisio Academy of Architecture presents a rich program of exhibitions. Officially opened in academic year 2005-2006, the Gallery hosts exhibitions on architecture, urban planning, art and photography: monographic exhibitions, devoted to professionals and artists with international reputations, rapidly growing cities, buildings with distinctive design histories. But the space is also used for illustrating the results of teaching and researches conducted by the Academy in collaboration with Foundations and Institutes.
- Valentin Bearth
- Stefania Murer
- Pasquale Carminati
- Marco Corti
- Francesco Talaia
As in a laboratory, where the collection of materials provides the impetus for creative vitality, the exhibition devoted to teaching presents architecture in its broadest sense, ranging from the idea of place to context, the landscape and finally the territory, explored in the design studios as well as the approaches and issues presented in lectures. The exhibition provides a picture of a full year at the Academy of Mendrisio through works by the students, demonstrating its great richness in communication.
Mostra sull’Attività Didattica
24 September – 31 October 2010
Mendrisio Academy of Architecture
The BSI Swiss Architectural Award, now in its second edition, is presented to architects aged under 50, regardless of nationality, who have made «a significant contribution to contemporary architectural culture displaying particular sensitivity to the landscape and environment». The exhibition presented the works of the architects selected and those of the winner, Diébédo Francis Kéré. The catalog has been published by Mendrisio Academy Press.
BSI Swiss Architectural Award 2010
19 November 2010 – 30 January 2011
BSI Architectural Foundation
Federal Office of Culture
and Academy of Architecture
Archivio del Moderno, Mendrisio
Christian Jabornegg (Wels, 1956) and Andras Pálffy (Budapest, 1954) are well known internationally by their participation at the Venice Biennale (2008 and 2010). Their most significant works in Vienna include the Generali Foundation exhibition centre for contemporary Art, the head office of the Schoeller Bank, the Judenplatz Museum (with the artist Rachel Whiteread), and in Kassel the restructuring of the central station for Documenta X. Through a rigorous analysis of place and history, Jabornegg e Pálffy interpret reality through evocative and striking architecture, which combines conceptual precision, architectural quality and innovative constructional solutions. Their works, embedded in the historical heritage, speak of the perception of place and belonging while relating closely to their contexts and establishing a sensitive dialogue between the new and the existing.
Jabornegg & Pálffy
25 February – 10 April 2011
presented with the support of
Österreichisches Kulturforum, Bern
and Bundesministerium für Unterricht,
Kunst und Kultur (Austria)
The new Monte Rosa Hut developed in 2009 out of the need to create a sustainable building for an Alpine resort at 2883 m above sea level. The building, the result of close collaboration between the ETH Zurich and the Swiss Alpine Club (CAS), was built using the latest technology in the fields of design, calculation and construction, and thanks to backing from numerous sponsors and supporters. The project was developed by students at the ETH-Studio Monte Rosa with an interdisciplinary approach and in collaboration with various specialists. The architectural design, working drawings and construction were guided by Bearth & Deplazes (Chur/Zurich).
New CAS Monte Rosa Hut.
A cutting-edge building
in the heart of the Alps
6 May – 5 June 2011
gta Institute of the Architecture Department of the ETH Zurich
in collaboration with
ETH-Studio Monte Rosa
presented with the support of
Glas Trösch AG, Bützberg
Isover Saint-Gobain AG, Lucens
VELUX Schweiz AG, Trimbach
Wicona Hydro Building Systems AG, Mägenwil
Zermatt Tourismus, Zermatt