Master of Science
To enrol in the Master of Science course applicants with UE/AELS nationality and applicants that do not need an entry visa for Switzerland must send the complete dossier of application to the administrative office of the Academy (Academy of Architecture, Master Programme, Largo Bernasconi 2, 6850 Mendrisio, Switzerland) from November by 15 April (postmark date applies as deadline).
Applicants that need an entry visa for Switzerland must send the complete application documents from November by 15 February (postmark date applies as deadline). More Information at this link.
Applicants with a Bachelor in Architecture obtained from a Swiss Polytechnic or from a Swiss SUP/HES must send the complete application documents from November by 1 June (postmark date applies as deadline).
The Università della Svizzera italiana-Academy of Architecture warns against false intermediaries, agents and “preparatory workshops” that promise an easy access to the study program.
USI-Academy of architecture has no intermediaries whatsoever in these roles.
In case of doubt please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants will be informed of the result of the application by email. If applicants are accepted, the acceptance will be formalized by a letter of admission from the Faculty.
To confirm their intention to enrol, applicants are required to pay the enrolment fee as indicated and in accordance with the procedure described in the letter of admission. To complete the enrolment, at the start of every academic semester, it is necessary to enrol in accordance with the procedures described in the letter of admission.
- A. International students who need a study-visa to enter CH
- B. International students who do not need a study-visa to enter CH, International students with European passport, Swiss students with foreign university credentials
- C. Students with Swiss Bachelor in Architecture EPFL and ETHZ
- D. Students with a Swiss Bachelor from HES/FH and SUPSI (recovery of 30 Ects)
|Entry semester||Fall||Fall||Fall||Fall or Spring|
|Online application group A plus fees||
|Online application group B plus fees||
|Online application group C and D Fall semester plus fees||
|Online application group D Spring semester plus fees||
|Application documents sent by priority mail (courier service, postmark date applies as deadline) must be sent by||15.02||15.04||01.06||
Fall semester: 01.06
|Skype-interview for selected students||29.03||31.05||Not requested||Not requested|
|Admission decision by e-mail expected by||Early April||15.06||July||
Fall semester: July
|Letter of confirmation and instructions expected by||2 weeks after payment of the tuition fees of the Fall semester||July||
/ Early August
Fall semester: end July / early August
|Payment of the tuition fees of the semester expected by||April / May||July||July / August||
Fall semester: July / August
Spring semester: January
|Start of the lectures||Mid September||Mid September||Mid September||
The semestral fee is 4,000.– Swiss francs. Students who were legally domiciled in Switzerland (including Liechtenstein and Campione d’Italia) when they received the qualification that gained them admission to the Academy (matriculation) will benefit by a reduced fee of 2,000.– Swiss francs, because the Academy receives a contribution from their Canton of residence.
Fees should be paid at the start of each semester by the date announced. Admission and retaining enrolment are conditional on the payment of fees.
Fees should be paid at:
Postfinance, La Posta
6500 Bellinzona, Svizzera
a favore di:
Università della Svizzera italiana
Accademia di architettura
IBAN: CH13 0900 0000 3446 6254 3
ref.: Iscrizione Master
The application dossier should contain the following documents:
- The enrolment form filled in online (for the new academic year 2019-20 the online form will be available from 8 November 2018)
- A copy of the qualifications: Bachelor in Architecture (or other qualification or degree), high school diploma
- Sworn translation into Italian or English of the qualifications if they are not in Italian, German, French, Romanch, English, Spanish or Portuguese
- Copy of the official original transcripts (lists of examinations taken) of the attended university
- Copy of the attestation of professional practice conducted in architectural firms: the documents must attest the date of the beginning and end of the period of practice. The period of professional practice is not compulsory for application to the MSc program
- Excel file (download) containing all subjects attended during the last entire academic year
- Curriculum vitae
- Photo passport size (jpeg)
- Letter of motivation written by the candidate
- Copy of passport or ID papers
- Copy of residence permit for foreign candidates already resident in Switzerland
- A portfolio (A4 size) presenting several projects made by the candidate in the course of his/her studies and practice
- 2 recommendation letters by either academics or employers (architectural firms only). Not requested for students with Swiss diplomas (EPFL/ETHZ/HES/FH/SUP)
All documents above must be sent in paper format within the due date to the following address:
USI Accademia di architettura
Largo Bernasconi 2
6850 Mendrisio Switzerland
Documents and portfolio-book will not be returned.
For the assessment of applications a payment by credit card of a registration fee is requested:
- applications submitted from 16 December till 15 April, CHF 200.-
- applicants with a Bachelor in Architecture of a Swiss polytechnic institute or a Swiss SUP/HES/FH are exempted from the registration fee
If the applicant has not yet fulfilled all requirements for the Bachelor (or other qualification or degree), the copy of the said degree or qualification must be presented subsequently, and not later than the start of the enrolment period. In this case it is necessary to specify the date when it is expected that the qualification will be obtained and present an attestation of this fact issued by the applicant’s home university. The candidate who has not obtained a Bachelor’s degree by August 31 must enrol for the following academic year, since admissions to the second semester are not accepted.
Copies of the qualifications enclosed
Collection of projects and technical blueprints (plans, elevations, sections) produced by the applicant during the years at university and the periods of work experience preceding the application for admission. Please note that the portfolio will not be returned.
A statement one page long in which the applicant presents him/herself and explains the reasons for his/her interest in the Mater of Science course at the Academy of Architecture.
Letter of motivation
The Admissions Committee of the Master program of the Academy has decided to include a Skype interview (audio/video) as a component of the application process. The interview will be in English and will last 5-10 minutes. No special preparation is needed. The questions asked will be of general knowledge in the architecture field.
Interview invitations will be sent only to some selected candidates. Unfortunately the faculty is not able to offer interviews to all applicants.
The Master of Science in Architecture of the Mendrisio Academy is awarded to the students who have carried out a 9-months consecutive certified professional work experience.
Applicants without a working experience before the Master program will be asked to do a period of internship in an architectural firm for a duration of 2 semesters after the conclusion of the 1st year of the Master program.
The professional experience of the candidate will be evaluated by the responsible of the department.
and relevant work